- 1 cup of Quinoa
- 2 cups of water or Chicken broth
- 3 tbs of oil
- 3 long light purple (Chinese) eggplants
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tbs of oil
- ½ tsp garlic minced
- ½ tsp ginger minced
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- Chili powder to taste
- 2 green chilies (optional) seeds removed, cut in length
- Cilantro leaves chopped
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Put 2 cups of water or chicken broth, 1 tbs of oil and ½ tsp salt in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add 1 cup of quinoa and let it boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat, put on lid, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa with fork and transfer in the serving dish.
Preparing Eggplant Curry:
- Wash and cut eggplant in ½ inch cubes. Keep in water with ¼ tsp salt to prevent eggplant getting brown.
- Cut onion in cubes and separate.
- In a saucepan heat 2 tbs of oil, add mustard seeds and, as they start popping, add onion and mix well in oil. Cover and let cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- When the onion is transparent, uncover lid, add ginger and garlic, ½ tsp of salt, chili powder and turmeric powder and fry.
- Add 2 tbs of water and cook for 2 minutes till mixture is soft.
- Add eggplant and half of cilantro leaves and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat till eggplant is tender, brown and expels liquid (about 5 to 10 minutes; cooking time varies with eggplant size). Stir from time to time.
- Add green chilies and the other half of cilantro. Mix it up for about 1-2 minutes.
- Take out green chilies before serving.
- Transfer in a serving dish, garnish with coriander and the same chilies.
- You can choose to mix Quinoa with Eggplant curry or serve separately.
© 2023 Copyright Food Talks