This traditional dish is a well recognized, much liked and enjoyed snack in India. It is reported that Bill Gates, the Microsoft CEO, during his visit to India, took a liking to uppamma and ordered it a few times! The dish can be served as a snack or as a light meal.
Category Main dishes Recipes Side dishes
- 1 cup de cream of wheat, coarse variety
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tbl spoon of finely chopped ginger
- 1 green chilly finely chopped
- 1 tbl spoon of water or margarine
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of split peas
- 1 tbl spoon of finely chopped cashews
- 2 tbl spoon of cooking oil
- Chopped coriander or curry leaves to garnish
- In a wide saucepan or wok, place the butter or margarine and roast the cream of wheat, in medium heat. Remove it and reserve in a different plate.
- Heat the cooking oil in the wok. Put the mustard seeds and let it pop.
- Add the split peas and let let it brown slightly.
- Add the onion, ginger and chilly and fry it mildly.
- Add the cashews.
- Add the 2 cups of water to the fried mixture and bring it to boil. Add salt.
- Bring the water to boil, reduce the heat to medium and gradually add the roasted cream of wheat.
- Stir the mixture gently, close to lid. The recipe will be ready to serve in about 3 to 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander or curry leaves before serving.
- Goes well with chutney, salad, yogurt, pickle, etc. Enjoy!
© 2023 Copyright Food Talks